Monday, October 6, 2008

My Inner Geek

So I had to break down and finally embrace my inner cycling geek. I went and got a front fender for my bike. WOW. It is due to the location in which I live. Being that it rains like 200 some odd days in the year. So I went over to the shop and got a Topeak DeFender M1. I hate it. It makes my bike look stupid. But I will see how well it works today. Being that it is supposed to be raining today by the time that I get off work.

So after I cleaned my bike up and got it looking nice again, I installed the fender. Holy shit it looks bad. If it works it means that I will not have to eat as much dirt and road grime that flies off my front tire. This is going to be the only good thing.

On Friday when I was going home I noticed that I was having a tough time shifting in and out of the bottom three gears. So after I got the bike cleaned up and wiped down I struck it up on the stand and took the back tire off and noticed that there was a stick and some other junk stuck in there. So I got the bag 'o' tools out and took the rear cassette apart. Wow, what a mess of junk down there ( and Jesse if you are reading this one after the seat post was cleaned well the bike stopped squeaking ) dirt and grease and sticks and I am not sure what all else. And this brings me to my next point. It is very important to clean your bike. So this next weekend I am going to have to tear down the BB and the steer tube and make sure that it is all clean and not filled with road grime.

Till next time.

No comments: