Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A New Time

As life goes on, it is important to start new things. I started biking again, and as I got more into again I started to look at the way the industry is going. So here I sit thinking about were I want to go, with the main stream or against the main stream. My normal nature is to move against what everybody else is doing and go my own way. However like most changes, I am not the first to go this route. I will be on the leading edge for my little town, but way behind the big cities, like NYC, San Fran, etc.

The new change is going to be going from a multi-speed bike to a single speed (SS). The reason for this is that there is less moving parts and less shit to deal with breaking. This is not something new by any means. It is just new to me. So I have a 2006 HardRock Pro, 18 gears and 100mm of travel from the MZIII on the front. The new frame that I want is the Surly 1x1. I will still be able to keep my disc brakes and fat tires. With a couple of new parts added to the old hub I can go from a 9 speed cog to a 1 speed.

From the SS I want to go and get a fixed gear. This will be the best thing for me. Going from the downhill / free ride to commuting, it has been hard. The fixed gear will bring back some of that freedom. The challenge of learning to ride again, and having to become one with my bike.

I am also going to convert my girlfriends bike over to a SS as well. The biggest reason for the make over on her bike is that she does not shift gears now, and I will be able to shed some weight on her bike making it a little bit easier for her to handle

So while the high dollar guys add gears and splatter them selves with spandex, trying to be everything that the doping tour guys are, I am going to follow the small group that goes against this. I am not going to worry about what I wear, or how much my bike cost, what the frame is made of. I am going to go back to riding, for the fun of it. See you all around.

No comments: