Sunday, January 25, 2009

A new dawn

As a new dawn arises, a new quest begins. I start taking my son with me on my commute. I have this older burley trailer that I stuck a bell tail light on. I know that it has reflectors both front and back but I felt that they were not enough. I am not sure how well this light will hold up against the weather. I hope that it gets me through the next couple of months. I know that when you buy cheap, you get a steaming pile of shit, most of the time. I will still have my tail light on but it will not be blinking, I will leave it on the solid beam.

His new school is on the way to work for me. So in the mornings and on my way home I will take him with me. I think one of the biggest problems that I face is whether to ride on the shoulder like I normally do or ride on the sidewalk. Riding on the sidewalk kills me. I hate going up and down with the driveways. I think that I can get a way with riding on the shoulder because I leave the house everyday at the same time and I see the same cars go by every morning. I am hoping that they will slow down just a little bit more now that I have the trailer. I would really like to have an xtracycle right about now. And yet in the other hand the trailer saves me money because I don't have to go and buy anything or go out and buy Buddha a stack of new clothes so he is water proof. So I am thinking that the trailer will work out very well for now.

I am also hoping that if my son his riding with me I can instill in him that riding a bike can be both fun and the best way to get around. I hope that he will look back as he gets older and thinks to himself that I should ride instead of take the car. I look back and think about how my dad got to and from work. For several years, more then I care to think about he walked, or he drove a little motorcycle. Know he has a company rig and drives everywhere. His job does require him to drive a lot. What is really funny is that I am following in his foot steps. I am also in outside sales. So I ride to work, drive at work, ride home.

So how do you encourage riding a bike when your ol'man drives for work. I guess you do what I am doing. Taking him with me. Showing him that you don't have to have a car. I am hoping that in a year or so. I am only out on the road once a week or so. I am hoping that my company will catch on to this thing called the net or even the ol'phone as a way to reach out and get new customers. Having said that I must say that nothing beats a hand shake and a look in the eye to say I can deliver, and I am a man of my word. So I do feel that it is required to drive once in a while. My company provides for people through out my state and the country, so at times I will drive to get the job done, or to look someone in the eye and tell them I can get the job done.

So as dawn approaches I will start this new day with hope that my son will be better then I and he rides more then his ol'man.

No comments: