Thursday, January 29, 2009

Upgrades

So you know when you get new parts you just can't help but put them on. Well I got a single speed kit, chain ring, and chain. Being that my old stuff had more then a 1000 miles on it.

The stock ring was 36T the new is 32T. The gear in the back was a 15T and now is a 16T. I am running a 1/2 x 1/8 chain with a quick link. The problem that I am facing now is that the bash guard that is on the crank arms is to thick for the new chain, but I need it on the crank arms because without it my bolts won't tighten down and hold the chain ring. Now with the wider chain, the chain rubs the guard and with that quick link the chain rides up on the guard and I end up skipping or jumping teeth. A very big pain in the ass when you are also towing the trailer with you kid in it. So I was semi-forced into taking the car today to work, most because the gear is new and I don't want to trash it because I am want to ride.

I think what I can do is take some flat bar and drill out the holes for the bolts to go through and then cut the flat bar down to size. Basically making a spacer that will fit were the guard would bolt down. If it works I will be very happy. I have no reason to think that it would not work. This is one of those times that I wish I had a friend that worked in a machine shop and I could get access to the lathe and turn my own guard. That would be the best of both worlds. Having a guard and giving it the right amount of clearance are the chain ring.

But on to the new parts. I was only able at this time to get the ROCK WERKS single speed kit. It looked a little cheap, but it did go together very well. The only question that I had was at what angle to set the chain tensioner at. I just got onto the net and looked at a couple of pics and kinda guessed were it should go. I believe that I have it in the right spot. As far as putting the parts on the bike. That was very simple. Getting the cog in the back in the right spot was a two try process for me. But it did line right up on the second go. I also found out that the kits don't come with a locking ring. So I had to use the last cog from the cassette as well as my lock ring. I have a sram cassette and I would assume a sram hub. I am not sure if the other company's are different but I got mine to work and it works very well other the the guard issue. But like I said above I have an idea.

I am sure that I am not the only dad out there that takes his kid to school using a bike trailer. Boy you think your legs are in kind of good shape until you start towing that trailer. It was amazing to me how heavy he has gotten. Last summer we took him out in that trailer and would go for rides. I don't remember him being that heavy. Yes I know that kids grow and gain weight, and then add in the weight of my bag and his bag, holy crap.

Keep is greasy side down.

No comments: