Wednesday, June 25, 2008

And I am back


This morning I made a choice to go a different route. Good and bad it was nice to see something different. I left the house and went out towards my kid's preschool and then looped over to hwy 9. You know how they say to ride against traffic. I am going to tell you other wise. It is nice to see the traffic. However, every big rig that drives by you will push you backwards. Plus there is this to consider. If I am traveling at 12mph and the car coming at me is doing 55, if something ever happened and we hit, our combined force would be 67mph head on. Not so cool. Yes I wear a brain bucket, but I don't think that they were biult for that kind of impact. Now take that same car and have him hit you from behind. That means that combined force would be 43mph, and you would get thrown away from the car not into the the car. So if your route puts you out on roads that have heavy traffic and they like to go faster then the posted speed limit, go with traffic. If you do need to see what is coming, get a mirror.

Last sat I had my bike over at Tim's bike shop and had Jay do a full tune up on my bike. It make a big difference to have everything working right. Something you should keep in mind is that when you send your bike in be sure to have them check the chain strech. My chain is very close and will need to be replaced before long. The reason to check the chain is so that you know how your chain rings and rear gears are doing. If you let the chain strech out to much when you do go to have it changed, or change it your self, the gears may be worn down to far and you will have to replace everything. I am hoping that in july I will be able to replace my chain and get a third chain ring. Right now I only have two and that 44T will be nice.

I also have to say that I have been using the bus more often. I like this because I don't have to fight the cars on a narrow two way blacktop and I get work faster. So it is working for me. Plus I don't have to go to the pump and feel that pain with two cars any more, that is way cool.

On a side note, It has been so nice up here the last couple of days, I am not sure what I am going to think when the weather goes back to normal. And I would liek to tell my little brother congrats on the new bike. Lets go for a ride when you come up next month.

1 comment:

jmann designs said...

you bet we will go for a ride. I will bring the Bianchi Up.