Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Day Two

Well I left work at 17:10 and made it home by 18:32. I was pretty sore and tired by the time getting home was on my mind. But I averaged 10mph. I got rained on and got some sun. I thought that I was pretty strong until I had to pull the last mile and most of that was up hill. In one and one I pulled half the hill. I had to walk the rest. I was sad that I could not finish it on my own, but it was the first time that I have ever ridden 30 miles in a day.

So this morning I tried a different route and found myself soaked to the bone. It was faster, I left home about 6:40 and got to work at 7:50. Now what is weird is that the new route only saved me a mile and a half of pedaling. So I don't know why I was able to save 20 min. So when one chooses to ride down the highway, make sure that you are well prepaired for the amount of water that comes off all of the cars and trucks going by. You would think that I would know this from driving around up here, that there is a lot of water. But nothing compares to how wet I was this morning by the time that I got to work.

So a thought on gear. I have a 2007 hardrock. Not really built for long hauls but it is all i got. Knowing that I do really enjoy riding to work, I am going to need to get better gear. I am not the kinda of guy who will run out and buy the name brand shit because some guy on a tour somewhere had it. I think that any gear that you buy should work and work for a long damn time. Example, the sunglasses that i wear I got about 7 or 8 years ago. They still work and are still cool looking. These glasses had different lens that I can put in them depending on what is going on. They were made by Smith Optics. I know that after today I am really wanting some waterproof pants and jacket. As well as I would like some kind of a shoe that will keep my feet warm and dry. A better bag to carry my shit in would be nice but the one that I got know is working. I got it while I was over in the middle east. So for now this is all I got.

A quick look at how far I have traved so far: 30 miles yesterday and 13.5 miles so far today. I know that after this morning I will not be useing the highway unless it is bright and sunny and has been so for at least half a day and will be sunny all week. So knowing what I know now. I will go the back way which is 15 miles, So by the time that I get home I will have biked 58.5 miles. I think it is pretty cool.

No comments: